The Barnstaple Fire Engine, horse-drawn and steam-powered, has returned to Barnstaple from Brighton! It was originally purchased by the Borough Council in 1912, but has been in Beaulieu and Brighton for many years. Now, thanks to the generosity of the Trust’s President, Keith Abraham, the machine has come back home. It is currently in storage awaiting the completion of the Longbridge extension, where it will take prime position on the ground floor. It might even be taken out and fired up occasionally!
The fire engine has been lovingly restored and is in great condition, as these photos show.